Apprentice Nursery Worker
Woodlark Nurseries are delighted to be able to offer someone the opportunity to train with us and learn from the best.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who likes working with people and being part of a friendly and hard-working team. We enjoy what we do and take pride in our work.
During your time at our plant nursery you will be collating evidence of learning, be observed and receive training as to how we do things. This is averaged over an18 month period and includes time spent at the beginning of the programme completing ‘sign-up’ & functional skills assessment. An assessor will visit you in the work-place every four to eight weeks.
Job role duties:
Main aim: to produce the best quality bedding and pot plants in the UK.
- Walk through crops and learn to identify when watering and feeding should be carried out.
- Carry out watering and feeding and learn to become a skilled hand watering of crops.
- Learn to use our automated watering facilities.
- Walk through crops to learn to identify high risk area/crops in relation to pest and diseases.
- Learn to identify early signs of pests and diseases.
- Build a rounded knowledge base of what chemicals/biochemcical to spray/use to prevent and cure particular disease or pest problems.
- Complete the spraying of crops when necessary in specific manner.
- Complete spraying training course.
- Learn how to take water, feed and soil samples to send to the lab.
- Help interpret results and adjust feeds appropriately.
- Monitor feed and water Ph and EC levels.
- Calibrate/look after irrigation equipment.
- Enjoy what you are doing and enjoy being part of a very friendly team. We work hard but are a relaxed team.
- Take young plant deliveries and get young plants ready for the potting machine.
- Help move plants around nursery when needed.
Must be prepared to work 10+ hours in busy season (May to start of July).