Technology (Osterley, Brick Lane, St. Katharine Dock)
Duration: up to two Years
Requirements: Minimum of 5 GCSE grades A*-C (including in English and Maths)
Start date: 10th September 2018
How our programme works:
As an Apprentice on this programme, you’ll be placed within one of the teams below depending on the outcome of your assessment centre. The teams include:
- Operations – This department is key to delivering the great content that Sky’s customers love. TV Operations is very much a 24/7 department, ensuring quality standards and deadlines are maintained whatever the hour, day or night. Our people are mainly shift workers who monitor and respond to events as and when they happen. They’re the ones that ensure there are no interruptions to our satellite and OTT (Broadband & Mobile) services. They plan and coordinate live feeds for Sky News, Sky Sports & Sky’s Entertainment channels, ensure programmes are accurately delivered to schedules, adjusting as required by changes and the dynamic nature of live broadcast and ensure the delivery of channels and content to customers through a huge range of delivery streams. As an apprentice you’ll gain a variety of experience as you rotate through our departments; following the life-cycle of Sky’s content. You’ll gain knowledge and experience in each of the departments that are instrumental in our operations and how they interact with each other to give a seamless delivery to customers.
To join the TV Operations Department, you will need to be 18 or over. We’re looking for strong team players, with good communication skills and who possess a great attention to detail.
- Integration & Test – This department is responsible for testing the technology that connects our TV systems to our online and satellite products such as Sky Q, Sky Store, Now TV and Sky Go. Things you’ll learn will include finding out how our TV software works and how to find bugs and work with other technology teams to create solutions to problems discovered during testing. An interest in the testing process is key and a curious mind with a passion for problem-solving.
- UK Information Systems – Technical Operations – This team is responsible for the correct functioning, availability and problem solving of the software applications used by Sky for its Broadband, Talk and Mobile Ordering and Repair services. In this team you will learn how software systems are created and operated by Sky. You’ll gain practical knowledge and skills in a diverse set of software technologies that will include application tools, database query languages, scripting languages, web portal, data analysis tools and more, all relevant to Data and Voice services. The team operate in an energetic and diverse environment, responding to events and incidents to restore service quickly. We operate during core business hours (09:00 -17:30) and with an on-call rota at all times outside of that. The role calls for a good team player with key abilities to think logically and correlate diverse inputs into an accurate analysis result.
- Broadband and Telephony Network Delivery- In this department you’ll learn how to solve problems effectively in a highly technical and fast-moving environment. You’ll learn how to analyse and communicate information in a clear and concise way. Understanding how to plan, prioritise and co-ordinate work (often to short working deadlines) within various teams. This apprenticeship will equip you with the fundamental skills for a career in project management.
- Enterprise Technology Infrastructure Technician-. As an apprentice within Enterprise Technology you’ll gain experience in a number of areas within technology. You’ll get the chance to spend time with several teams who manage and support the systems used here at Sky that allow our colleagues to successfully conduct their jobs. During your time on this programme, you’ll be involved with many technologies such as, Windows 10, Office 365, app development, network fundamentals, Video Conferencing and ITIL foundation. This apprenticeship will prepare you for a career in the rapidly evolving field of Technology.
What we look for:
- A passion for technology and Sky’s business
- Good communication and team working skills
- Able and motivated to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment and work well under pressure
- Ability to problem-solve and think logically
- You’ll be confident, personable and adaptable
- Have an interest in aspects of Computer Science, IT, Technology or other scientific/ engineering/ telecommunications disciplines
- You may also have practical experience of computer technologies or planning tools
- Minimum of 5 GCSE grades A*-C including in English and Maths
You will achieve a Level 4 Network Engineer Standard, Level 4 Infrastructure Technician Standard, Level 3 Infrastructure Technician or Level 4 Associate Project Manager Standard (depending on the outcome of your assessment).
Happy to talk flexible working.
It’s our people that make Sky Europe’s leading entertainment company. That’s why we work hard to be an inclusive employer, so everyone at Sky can be their best.
If you are successful in your application for this role, your appointment will be subject to receiving a positive outcome from your Criminal Record Check.
Believe in better
More apprenticeships like this
- Business, management and administration 4 to 7 - Higher Apprenticeship £150 - £199 apprenticeships in London (Greater)
- Construction 4 to 7 - Higher Apprenticeship £150 - £199 apprenticeships in London (Greater)
- Building services engineering service and maintenance engineer 4 to 7 - Higher Apprenticeship £150 - £199 apprenticeships in London (Greater)
- Digital industries and IT 4 to 7 - Higher Apprenticeship £150 - £199 apprenticeships in London (Greater)